AMB Sports & Entertainment (AMBSE) announced a partnership with GreenFields USA on Thursday. The agreement states that the GreenFields® MX 3-STAR Turf System will be installed as the playing surface for Atlanta United and the Atlanta Falcons in Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
"Our goal is for every feature of this stadium to be a difference maker," said Rich McKay, President and CEO of the Atlanta Falcons in a prepared statement. "Our challenge to GreenFields was to create a turf surface that will not only be the best in the world for professional football and soccer, but will have the durability to maintain top quality over time. They've produced a world-class field that is a safer surface for NFL players."
This particular system has a proven track record for soccer. Teams across the Netherlands such as ADO Den Haag, Sparta, Dordrecht, PEC Zwolle, Volendam, RJC, Heracles and many others have installed the system into their home venues. This history of success with soccer pleases Atlanta United president Darren Eales.
"This will be a world-class stadium where we will host Atlanta United matches as well as international competition, so for us it was important to partner with a company that had an extensive background and experience in soccer," said Atlanta United president Darren Eales. "The surface GreenFields has developed is the most innovative, highest quality turf surface on the market."
· GreenFields® MX is a 100% recyclable field and provides the most comparable experience to playing on natural grass of any artificial turf system in the world;
· GreenFields® MX turf has no pile lay and reduces the glare found in other traditional synthetic surfaces, giving it a beautiful, natural appearance;
· The top layer of the system features GreenFields® MX Trimension™, a patented weaving technology that ensures the synthetic grass fibers will stand up straight, better replicating natural grass when it comes to playability at top-flight level;
· Unlike traditional synthetic turf where the fibers are bound one at a time to the top layer, the proprietary GreenFields® MX process weaves the fibers directly into the matting while also varying their composition and length. The resulting ‘clumps’ of grass are nearly identical in texture to natural grass and possess many of the same properties;
· Extremely wear-resistant blades feature diamond-shaped yarns that are firmly secured through an industry leading 3D weaving technology developed by GreenFields parent company TenCate.
· The woven turf is a more consistent surface that resists compaction, providing excellent traction with less infill splash, allowing the player to pivot easier and deliver better and more natural control of the ball;
· The shock absorption characteristics of the 3-STAR turf system are provided by a separate dampening layer below the turf. This ECOCEPT sports performance layer is manufactured from a variety of materials and is an innovative way of providing the best available performance in an environmentally friendly manner.