Georgia's only Lamar Hunt US Open Cup qualifier this year, the Atlanta Silverbacks, start in the First Round on Wednesday night against the PDL's Reading United. Our friends over at Brotherly Game previewed Reading United's roster and highlighted the club's ties to the Philadelphia Union.
With seven former Philadelphia Union Academy players, and a roster full of Division 1 college players, Reading will pose quite a challenge for the Silverbacks.
The Silverbacks posted their roster on the official NPSL website late last week. Featured players include:
- Shaka Bangura: He featured for the NASL Silverbacks in 2014-15, returning to the US after stints in Cyprus, Thailand, and Indonesia. The North Clayton HS grad started his career with the Silverbacks NPSL predecessor Atlanta FC in 2008. The speedy veteran will be vital to the team's success in 2016.
- Adnan Bangura: The defensive midfielder was an important part of the Silverbacks Reserves team in the NPSL last season.
- Abdul Bangura: Unfortunately, Abdul is suffering from an injury at the moment and his availability in 2016 is in question. He started last season with the Reserves while recovering from surgery before returning to the NASL team in the second half of the season.
- Bryce Billington: He served as the NASL Silverbacks' third goalkeeper last season, but did not see action.
- Denzel Clarke: Hailing from Greater Atlanta Christian School and Gardner-Webb University, he scored 16 goals in a standout junior season in 2013. He played with the Alpharetta Ambush youth club.
- Mitch Garcia: Last season, he was part of the Reserves team that earned this US Open Cup slot through their NPSL regular season play. He made three appearances with the NASL Silverbacks in 2014.
- Shaun Greenfield: Greenfield is a well traveled 25 year old forward/attacking midfielder. He has spent time with clubs in Spain, Belgium, and Ukraine. He also made appearances in US U20 youth squads under coach Thomas Rongen in 2010.
- Ebrima Njie: Ebra was a key part of the Reserves defense last year, earning respect throughout the South Region as one of the strongest center backs.
- Diego Ordaz: One of the most interesting signings for the Silverbacks is Ordaz. The 32 year old last played with Lobos BUAP of the Liga Ascenso MX, prior to that he made over 180 appearances with Monterrey. He's a left footed center back, or defensive midfielder,
- Pedro Polaz: The young 21 year old Brazilian striker played last season with União Barbarense of the Campeonato Paulista Série A2.
- Abu Tommy: The Sierra Leone native spent a short stint with the San Jose Earthquakes of MLS in 2013. He did not feature for the first team in his time there. The 26 year old midfielder played for his country's youth national teams.
Atlanta Silverbacks Women
Readying for their debut season in the Women's Premier Soccer League, the Silverbacks Women released their schedule this week. They will open on May 21 at home against Chattanooga FC.
Their roster is also starting to take shape, as you can see on their website.
NEXT MATCH: Sunday, May 15 scrimmage at Summerour Middle School in Norcross at 1:00pm
Our own Matthew Edmiston was on hand in Conyers to see the Revolution defeat fellow NPSL club Birmingham Hammers 2-0 last Saturday night. Watch the highlights and check out his match report here. The win keeps the Revolution undefeated in their preseason schedule.
Last week, the Revolution announced more player signings. Adam McCabe is a 24 year old attacking midfielder who previously spent time with Bradford City in England. Goalkeeper Josh Swift is from Lilburn and recently finished his sophomore year at Georgia Southwestern State University in Americus. Forward Ryan Gordon previously played at North Gwinnett HS and Georgia Perimeter College.
NEXT MATCH: Saturday, May 14 at home vs. Atlanta Silverbacks at 7:00pm
Peachtree City MOBA
NPSL club Nashville FC defeated MOBA 1-0 last Saturday night in a friendly at Vanderbilt Stadium.
Nick Hague signed with the club last week. The Englishman started with Sheffield Wednesday's academy when he was eight years old and played with the club through the U21's. He primarily played as a central midfielder, but can also play center back. After being released at Wednesday, Hague came to the US and has been a standout at Clayton State University.
Midfielder Jessey Hein also joined the club. The 21 year old midfielder will be attending BYU-Hawaii in the fall after the PDL season.
NEXT MATCH: Saturday, May 14 at Mississippi Brilla in Clinton, MS at 8:00pm. Watch here.
South Georgia Tormenta FC
Players started to arrive in Statesboro last week for the first full training sessions for the new PDL club. Check out some action from training here:
NEXT MATCH: Friday, May 13 at Tri-Cities Otters at East Tennessee State University at 7:00pm.