Tonight, we’ll be hosting the ATLSoccer chat on our Facebook page. Join me starting at 8:00 p.m. to discuss all of the latest in the Atlanta soccer world. And there’s plenty to talk about...
- Center backs: Let’s get caught up since this seems to be a fluid situation. Darren Eales told Doug Roberson of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Atlanta United would not be using their third Designated Player slot on a defender, which is counter to what was out earlier in the week. Martin Demichelis never seemed to be in the picture either, according to Roberson’s sources. Fret not, for rumors popping up in Argentina last night have Atlanta considering Estudiantes’ Leandro González Pírez. He is a 24-year-old center back with nearly 100 games at Argentine first division clubs and a stint at Gent in Belgium. He would likely be acquired using Targeted Allocation Money.
- Lucas Biglia: Atlanta United’s dream signing is now rumored to be wanted by the LA Galaxy, according to TyC Sports in Argentina. TyC does not mention the Atlanta link, only that Biglia’s agent came to the U.S. to speak with the Galaxy. They also report that he recently turned down Chinese offers and is on an annual salary of nearly $3.2 million at Lazio.
- Atlanta United TV: Roberson reported that Atlanta United is “close” to naming their local television partner. This echoes my sources. Eales told Roberson that the agreement is going through the legal process currently. Roberson also says that the most likely partner is Fox Sports South, who we identified as negotiating with the club back in June.
- Preseason plans: Atlanta United will open their preseason training camp at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida on January 23. The club will train there through February 4.
- USL partner: Roberson also reported that the team is nearing an announcement of their USL partner for 2017. They signed a one-year deal with the Charleston Battery in 2016. The announcement could be made as early as next week.
Tito Villalba’s former teammate Sebastian Blanco headed from San Lorenzo to Portland Timbers (ESPN)
Philadelphia Union is not done shopping yet (Philly.com)
San Jose Earthquakes trying to bring all the Quinteros (San Jose Mercury)
Seattle Sounders waiting on more news regarding Clint Dempsey’s condition before hitting the DP market (Sounder at Heart)
Curt Onalfo begins to build his LA Galaxy staff (LA Daily News)
Club legend Conor Casey to join the Colorado Rapids’ coaching staff (Burgundy Wave)
Soccer stadium for New England Revolution in Dorchester appear to be dead (Boston Globe)
Could Raleigh AND Charlotte both get MLS expansion clubs? (Raleigh City Sports)
Alvaro Saborio headed home to Saprissa in his native Costa Rica (Sporting News)
Why winning the EFL Cup matters? (SB Nation)