Atlanta United fans will get their first and only look today at new manager Frank de Boer’s 2019 squad before the team begins its Champions League campaign on the road against CS Herediano on February 21.
Like the team’s first friendly against the Seattle Sounders, the session will not be split into customary 45-minute halves, but rather the team will play multiple 40-minute sessions.
Xolos, Atlanta’s opponent, will unfortunately not have its first team on hand, as the club plays a match tomorrow in the Mexican domestic cup tournament.
What we’re watching for
- What combinations of players in certain position groups (CMs, CBs, etc) are playing together?
- Is de Boer deploying a back four, back three, or both?
- Where is Julian Gressel playing?
- Is Pity Martinez predominantly on the left, right, or central?
- Who is emerging from the second unit?