Atlanta United remained unbeaten against Orlando City on Friday with a 1-0 win at Exploria Stadium. Josef Martinez’s second half goal was enough to see the Lions off and ensure that the Five Stripes would sit atop the East for another week. Here are a few thoughts on an absolutely nothingburger of a match:
- LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL HOW DID WE WIN THAT MATCH?
- Make no mistake, it was a putrid performance and overall match to watch. Both teams seemed to be playing in cement for the 90 minutes. Somehow, someway, Atlanta still came out on top over Orlando. The order of the world remains intact.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL pic.twitter.com/sQ1aUpQfMk— Rob Usry (@RobUsry) August 24, 2019
- What happened, exactly? Was it the humid conditions that caused such a drab and unenthusiastic performance? Maybe.
- Was it the fact that the team knows Orlando is terrible and they can sleepwalk to a win against them? Possibly.
- Were they looking ahead to Tuesday’s U.S. Open Cup Final? Could be.
- I don’t have the answers. I don’t have much analysis at all about this match at all really. It was a lucky three points. Sometimes you need luck during the season. They can’t all be winning performances.
- Credit to the back line and midfielders for working extremely hard. It definitely wasn’t pretty or that good. But you can’t question the work rates of guys like Pogba, Gressel, Gonzalez Pirez, Meram, Robinson, Nagbe and Larentowicz. Josef scored the goal, but their tireless legs won the match.
- That’s all I got. It was bad but also good. See y’all Tuesday.