In the 27th minute, Jake Mulraney nearly finished off an Atlanta United counter attack.
Jake Mulraney going forward and creating chances became a common theme, especially in the first half.
Five minutes into the second half, John Gallagher put FC Dallas goalkeeper Jimmy Maurer under a LOT of pressure with an impressive shot from outside the Dallas penalty area.
Then Jeff Larentowicz, an acrobatic youngster, nearly scored an overhead shot. Though he didn't score a goal-of-the-year contender, he put away a penalty kick just minutes later to put the Five Stripes ahead.
Can't shake our Captain from the spot pic.twitter.com/KgQlBQpIo7— Atlanta United FC (@ATLUTD) September 24, 2020
The last 20 minutes saw Atlanta focus on maintaining their 1-0 lead in the Benz, but Laurence Wyke and Eric Remedi both nearly scored a second goal to give Atlanta United a cushion in the last few minutes of the match.
- Atlanta United as a whole really needed a win. The fans had something to cheer for and be happy about. The players and coaching staff can use this as a platform to continue building upon. Confidence is probably soaring in the Atlanta locker room right now, and hopefully this can be a turning point for the rest of the season.
- Not conceding in the first five minutes really increases your chance of winning.
- Miles Robinson may have picked up an injury during the first half, having been subbed off during halftime.
- Cubo Torres will be out for the foreseeable future, according to Tom Bogert.
- Jurgen Damm has not been cleared to play, according to MLS’ injury report.
Man of the Match
I’m nominating Jeff Larentowicz for man of the match since he scored the winning goal and nearly gave us a bicycle kick goal, but you can argue for a number of players for this prestigious award. Let us know in the comments who you are going with for man of the match.
Tweet of the Match
If Jeff Larentowicz has scored that overhead kick I would’ve streaked all the way to Atlanta— Rob Usry (@RobUsry) September 24, 2020
The Chicago Fire will host the Five Stripes on Sunday. Kick off is scheduled for 7:30.